Exercise 4:
Shadows and reflected light
As suggested I used a stainless steel coffee pot and a small porcelain sugar bowl to draw.
I used charcoal sticks and a putty rubber to work through the tones of each object:
Reflections:
The stainless steel pot was fascinating to work with, on reflection there were more light long stretches of reflective light in the pot than I have captured here, I think I captured the larger ones but perhaps not enough of the smaller ones. The pot was constantly changing in the light. Such a super reflective surface.
In contrast the smaller pot was dull, the light bounced off the coffee pot and hit the left hand side, I really wanted to capture this light. The smaller pot was reflected in the coffee pot, the shape of this reflection was much taller and slimmer than the actual sugar pot, I wanted to show this. The very lightest point was the very tip of the lid.
I used cross hatching to capture the curve of the sugar pot, I am satisfied that you can see the shape is round.
A brilliant exercise, really enjoyable. I really feel that I am starting to see beyond the initial lines of a drawing.

Comments
Post a Comment