Project 4: Exercise 2 -
Composition - An interior
I have chosen to use my bedroom for this exercise. Initially I ruled this room out of my house sketches as it is old, without decoration and rough. However as I woke up this morning, for the fist time I looked at the old pink colour of the walls in the morning light and I thought that perhaps there is something to be found here.
I started with a quick sketch of the room. This exercise has asked that I look at angles, so I concentrated on the line of the walls to gage where the angels were:
I then moved onto studies of the room in both portrait and landscape. I worked quickly with each sketch and used the far right corner angle as a starting point. I took a seated position and adjusted my position slightly each time.
I looked at the angles of the items in my viewpoint, the size and corners of the large chest of drawers. I struggled here, certainly in the first sketch as I felt the angles were too steep.
By sketch 3, I felt I had begun to adjust this.
I found the portrait sketch felt limited, I felt stifled with and unable to include enough in this sketch:
Foreshortening: Portray or show (an object or view) as closer than it is or as having less depth or distance, as an effect of perspective or the angle of vision.
2.Prematurely or dramatically shorten or reduce (something) in time or scale.
To study the tonal value of the room, I sketched my composition with a light brown coloured pencil. I remained in a seated position and worked at eye level. Squinting my eyes I used a 4B pencil to shade in the very darkest areas I could see. Working in the morning, I could see where the light was not catching.
I then moved on to the lighter areas using a 2 H pencil. The light brown coloured pencil helped define the very lightest areas:
Reflection:
How interesting to return to a room I had initially ruled out and find light and lines and interesting textures. In the next exercise I look forward to bringing texture to the walls which you can see in the photo of the room.
I found the portrait sketch stifling, with the area I was wishing to cover, landscape seems to work better.
The tonal sketch was the most exciting and satisfying. A way of sketching I wish to take forward. It felt like a more interesting way to sketch.
For this tonal drawing, I sought advice from 'Experimental Drawing' by Robert Kaupelis. Although I did use line for my sketch, to take forward with me I have absorbed this advice "When tone rather than line alone is used to define form in a more complex still life arrangement, the difference between figure and ground or positive and negative shape becomes more obvious".
Reference:
'Experimental Drawing' by Robert Kaupelis Chapter: 'Organization/Structure: Making Things "Work Together"




Comments
Post a Comment