Research Point: Unusual, multiple viewpoints



Anthony Green - 'Mrs Madeleine Jocelyne with her Son' 1987

What is most striking about this piece are the angles and peculiar perspectives. 

I see a living room, one that appears comfortable and rich. I see a middle class home. Full and pleasurable.  The mixture of pencil, watercolour and pastel is also a dream like combination. I cannot see where each medium begins and ends, it all flows like a picture book opening up. 

The first this I see in this piece is the red figure sat in the arm chair, however very quickly my eye is drawn to the red in the walls, very similar in shade to the red figure. This makes me believe the figure is in her home setting, she blends into the room. This is her place. 

Each corner of the room is different and so interesting. I have to look 3 or 4 times to spot the detail. Each angle so irregular. There are lamps and plants, side boards holding a collection of items, most of them probably hold sentimental value that seem to extend outside of the room itself. I like this as I feel like their home is an endless story, and extension of themselves. How you would want your home to be. There are shadows, formed using a slightly darker shade of colour. 

Interestingly, the invisible figure, is the last I see. He is pale in colour, but when I seem him, his blue socks make him so interesting. 

This is a believable and fascinating scene. Green is best known for his interesting paintings inspired by his own middle class domestic home. 



Carel Weight  - 'The Friends' 1968 




In this room I can see two friends in an embrace. They are in a room with the light on, however I can clearly see it is still daylight outside. The walls of the room are especially dark. The walls are roughly textured making them interesting even though so very dark. I can see the pink tones in the dark mix of the walls at the very top, where it would seem the light of the bulb catches the wall. 

What is interesting here is the viewpoint. It is such a small part of the room yet so very effective in capturing the mood of the room. The two friends look glum, cuddled together perhaps in a comforting way. In need of each other. The room with its dark walls tells a story of sadness, I feel there is sorrow in the room. At the very top of the painting I can see the line of the ceiling where again, I mix of colours has been used to capture the orange light of the bulb - I can see pinks and purples, yellow and orange. 


I can see shelves and candlesticks beyond the figures, they are there is detail but painted in what must be the darkest grey. They are important pieces in the room, however Weight has been very careful not to draw my eye away from the figures and the street view through the windows. 


The street view is in contrast to the sad and dark interior. The gorgeous burnt sienna brick is bright and prosperous. The sky is a light and bright cream, maybe even the palest grey. It is not gloomy outside. 

The most interesting part of this painting is there are three visual layers. I see the friends in the centre, the mood of the room and the bright street on the outside. Such a narrow viewpoint that shows so much. So much melancholy in a tiny snapshot. 


Carel Weight - 'Thoughts of the girls' 




Here Weight has worked around the angle of an interior door. The door is not completely centre, purposefully done to allow the giant, wild and what would seem moving thoughts of the girls to the right of the door. 

The room itself is incredibly simple. A muddy cream rug at in the foreground lay on top of dark mahogany wooden flooring. The door and walls, skirting board are bright white. The room is very important to this piece for what I can see as two reasons...1. The door allows the enormous thoughts of the girls to meet, its the opening. 2. The girl sits sadly in the corner of the room, yet the room in its simplicity takes nothing away from her as a figure. She is my very first thought. 

The contrast of the light, white door and walls against the dark flooring is pleasing the eye and makes this very simple room so interesting. 

Again, as above, I can see 3 layers to this painting. The room, the sad figure in the right hand corner and then beyond her the friend at the door and the collision of thoughts. I can feel the confusion, the battleground inside the girls head.  

References: 

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/carel-weight-2128
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/anthony-green-1213
https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/name/anthony-green-ra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog