Exercise 1 - Experimenting with expressive lines and marks

I followed the guided instructions and started with pastels, with a short break I returned to each piece with pens, some were running out and faded. I also at a further point returned with pencil. 

The forth emotion I chose was sorrow. 
Top left: CALM, top right: JOY
Bottom left: ANGER, bottom right: SORROW


The words that came to me for each emotion are as follows: 

CALM: Water, flowing, tranquil, flow, flourish, abundance, nurture, climate, vast, emotional. 

JOY: Growth, branches, warmth, enlightening, light, wonder, upwards, womb, new life, birth, positiv,e new beginnings. 

ANGER: Abusive, abuser, hateful, cruel, hurt, wound, malice, victim. fire, bully, hate, unnecessary. 

SORROW: Bleeding heart, hurt, tears, water, falling, empty, dark, grey, broken, never ending. The end. 

I left the room and returned a short while after. While walking around this piece I found something really, really interesting. I looked at sorrow upside down, the sorrow I have depicted here is falling downwards. Looking at it the other way and you can see candles and light. I found this really quite emotional. 


REFLECTION: 

This was quite an emotional exercise. When I picked up the pastels, I initially felt quite detached from what was being asked. However, very quickly, thinking about each emotion, I did channel my emotions. 

What has blown my mind though is my marks for sorrow - Looking at it a different way and you see light. There really is a message there. Completely accidental yet so very powerful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog