Exercise 3: 
Creating shadow using lines and marks 

For this exercise I chose to work with a small old brass bell I have at home. A simple shape with a shiny surface, perfect for various tones. 

I chose four tools to work with, a HB pencil, a black biro, black ink and a black drawing pen. 

I practised cross hatching with long and short lines. 

You will see my four bell sketches to the left of the  page below. 

The second part of this exercise asked that I take a few objects to work with, drawing quickly and loosely. Here I filled my loose outlines with various tones of cross hatching to make each object look its true three dimensional shape. 

I chose to work with a black biro as I would be unable to rub this out, I also enjoyed using the biro to draw my bell to the left: 





Reflections: 

I am finding sketching without being too concerned about accuracy really very enjoyable. I am working quickly and boldly with less anxiety. The forms here took shape very quickly and felt very exciting to see develop in a matter of minutes. 

The cross hatching has been very effective in showing the different tones and particularly like how it has been used here to show the curves of each item. 

As much as I wasn't overly concerned about accuracy whilst sketching in the way, I feel by concentrating solely on the tones, this in itself has naturally created and accurate sense of shape and depth. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog