Assignment one

I collected some items together for this assignment: An apple, a leek, a small brass vase, a yellow glass vase that my Nan left in her house, and the addition of five daffodil stems. 

The natural light was pretty strong through the kitchen window, so I didn't feel a lamp was necessary:


I started with a sheet of parcel paper and ink. I wanted to loosely sketch out the shape of each object. What has excited me the most so far in this module is sketching so quickly and loosely. This also gave me an opportunity to look at the positioning of my objects: 



Next I worked on a white sheet of A2 paper. I chose to use charcoal sticks, chalk, a putty rubber and a variety of pencils: HB, 2B, 4B, 6B and 8B.: 



I wanted to show the straight lines that run across the leek, the lines that run all the way to the very top. I wanted to show the circular centre of the leek. 

I used various shades of tone to try and create the circular shape of the apple. 

The buds of the daffodil stems actually look much lighter than I was able to depict here in the natural light and they also have very delicate and beautiful lines running through the skin of the buds so I revisited this drawing and tried to make them appear a little more true to life. 

I also revisited the leek to also add a little more light to the tone. I also wanted to highlight the natural lines more effectively: 




Why did I pick the objects that I did? 

I wanted to combine both natural objects and material objects. I wanted the opportunity to look at their shapes and lines.

The apple and the leek were the most different to each other as I could find in terms of shape and texture. The leek is very long, with delicate and precise long flesh lines, where as the apple is circular with barely any line yet such a variety of natural colour across the skin. 

The daffodil stems were in a vase at home, they were the perfect addition in there infant state. Again, studying them with the naked eye, I could see the gentle long lines of the stems. Most beautiful is how the light catches the very tip of the buds. 

The yellow glass vase holds sentimental value, it was my Nan's vase. It is a very unique shape and colour. 

The small brass vase, catches natural light and so the perfect item to help with my study of light. 


What went well? 

I felt really comfortable with my chosen mediums of charcoal, chalk and pencils. With very little previous experience of drawing with charcoal, what I have found through the previous exercises is how rough yet flexible charcoal is. I didn't feel bound by my lines with this drawing, this really does make me feel relaxed and unafraid. 

I feel happy with the shapes I captured, the contrast of the long lines of the leek and the stems against the round figure of the apple and brass vase. I like how you can see the deep and dark centre of the top of the apple. 

I feel particularly happy with the lines of the bottom half of the leek and then the circular inside shapes that you can see at the very top of the leek. 

I feel that the reflection of light has been captured on the brass vase. This item has a lot of natural shine, I think I have displayed this here. 

I used cross hatching to add volume to the glass vase and the apple, this I feel was effective. 

What didn't go so well? 

I am happier with the lighter buds of the daffodil stems, however in natural light the tips do capture the most light and I haven't got that here. I need to almost add some touches of white to the tips. 

I struggled with capturing the true shape and line of the daffodil stems. I used a charcoal stick to draw them in, however despite my efforts, you cannot see the delicate line that they naturally have. 

The stalk of the apple contains a number of tones. In my drawing you cannot really see this detail. Again, despite effort it does appear clumsy. 

The glass vase is transparent, which I tried to display however, I do not think I captured the unique shape of the vase accurately. 

Reflections: 

I am learning. I looked for items that contained tones, marks and lines. I looked really hard at the beauty of the lines of each item before I began to draw. I honesty don't think I would have noticed these lines before I started the study of the exercises. I can see ordinary objects in an entirely different light, it feels enlightening. 

I have listed what went well and not so above however I wanted to note how exciting I have found working in the way I have chosen to in this assignment and previous exercises. The ink on parcel paper really does help me study the shapes of each item before I start. The charcoal relieves me of any anxiety, it is so flexible. I really look forward to gaining more experience as I progress. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog