Project 3: Exercise 3 - 
Experiment with mixed media 




For this exercise I have chosen to draw the pink roses in my kitchen windowsill and a coconut. With ink I mapped out this composition onto brown paper: 


I then used a variety of mediums to block in the colour. I used white acrylic for the window. Watercolour for the roses and coconuts and pastel and chalk for the vase: 


Reflections: 

Unfortunately the final drawing appears muddy and messy. 

Using a variety of materials is certainly out of my comfort zone. I did feel daunted by this exercise and so not to worry unnecessarily, as with a number of exercises so far, I just went for it! 

The shadows are most certainly too dark, I used black here which on reflection was a mistake .

I also wanted to put a shade on the glass of the window, on this occasion I used a grey watercolour. Again, this appears muddy and subdued. When I look back at this drawing I can see that I only paid attention to the objects themselves, I didn't look beyond them to the garden path you can see through the window. I didn't look this far. 

The photo itself is full of light. The colours are so bright and joyful. I failed to bring any of this to fruition.

This is the first time I have used mixed media...It felt too tricky this time. Perhaps next time, I can have a better go! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog