Project 4: 
Exercise 3 - Material Differences 


I used an A1 white sheet of paper and a HB pencil to map out the composition of my drawing. I was careful to use all of the picture space on my sheet: 



Once I was was sure of my placement, I went over my lines with a black fine line. Here I was careful to include details that I hadn't really noticed in previous exercises, such as the reflection of the chest of drawers in the mirror and all of the objects along the window sill. I looked had at each item and before committing to the black line, I looked again at how objects sat along/around each other in terms of shape and size: 



Now to add colour. As there are so many objects in the view. I didn't want to use a heavy medium in fear of losing each piece. I opted for watercolour and went about colouring in each piece. I was careful here to include the worn, old, light pink walls. The room is darkest in the very corner where the light doesn't quite hit. Also the white plant pots, I was very conscious of capturing the shadowed areas. The different shades of brown on the chest of drawers were also a point of interest, again where the light hits the object: 



Reflection: 

I found the conclusion of the room very pleasing. I really enjoyed working in pencil, ink and watercolour. The watercolour was very easy to use across the sheet of paper. The colour is bright and fresh and each piece included in the drawing can be see clearly. 

What went wrong? 
When I study the finished drawing, I can see that the angle of the radiator is a little off compared to the line of the window. 

The linen on the bed is missing texture. 

What went right? 
The plant pots are my favourite part of this drawing. I can see where the light captures them. They appear bright and decorative. 

I can see the different shades of colour on the walls. 

The chest of drawers shows a variety of  tonal areas

Comments

Popular posts from this blog