Project 2 Exercise 2: Sketchbook walk
During this lock down period I have spent a lot of time in my garden. As getting out and about is tricky at this time. I will focus on small areas of my garden for this exercise.
Using a pencil, biro and coloured pencils on paper. I create four thumbnails to sketch within.
As the exercise encourages. I sketch quickly and roughly and leave an eraser behind. I am increasingly enjoying this way of working, no fear or anxiety. It helps to create something exciting.
I create this thumbnail sketches in one continuous walk. It is 2pm in the afternoon and the weather is dry and bright.
The coloured pencils help to separate the shapes and form.
The top thumbnail here is the corner fence. Within the pots are tree saplings. The are all different heights. They sit tightly in the corner.
The bottom thumbnail contains an old vintage bird cage, a small lavender pot. The background is made up of old grey slabs on the ground. They are all very roughly cut shapes.
The top thumbnail here shows a green ceramic bird bath, An old steel watering can that is rusting on the top and a clay chimney pot.
The bottom thumbnail is an overgrown corner of the garden. The grass is long and bright green and a yellow sapling Acer tree sits in the centre. There are Bluebells within the long grass:
Reflection
I made notes around each thumbnail with detail that I wanted to remember. There were cobwebs in the fence panel. that at first glance I didn't see. It was through studying the scenes in detail that I observed small things that may not have seemed important initially.
It was really helpful to look at four different scenes, as my options of location were extremely limited, it meant I had to really look at an area I see everyday, yet look at it in a different way, a study.
The overall sketches are pleasing. The use of coloured pencils, previously I have disliked coloured pencils, but in this exercise they have really helped to bring to life each scene.
In each thumbnail I can see a separation between items and I was also able to position things are I saw them, in the foreground, middle ground and background.



Comments
Post a Comment