Project 2 Exercise 3: 360 studies 


This is the panoramic view I will be working with today for my quick sketches. It is a scene in my village. I am stood in the middle of this green field with a sketchbook and pencil. There is a church to the left of this scene. Houses along the road in the background. Many trees. An old shelter/barn just ahead of me and a number of sheep. 

I spend 15 minutes sketching notes of this scene. I start at this centre and change my position for each sketch: 

Central view: 


To the right: 


To the left: 


Left again: 


Reflection: 

My location was a vast space. To the eye, there was far too much to be able to cover in a drawing. The very thought of that was overwhelming. However, going about this scene in this way felt like breaking it down into bite size chunks. 

15 minutes allowed my to follow the line of the green grass against the lines of the fences and walls without fearing the detail too much. I was able to block in the shapes of the buildings and the trees and position them. 

A very useful tool. 

The sketches themselves feel like a brilliant starting point for a more detailed sketch later on. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog