Part 5: Exercise 2&3: Study of a townscape using line and a limited palette study 


Study of townscape using line: 

As suggested, I am using two sheets of A3 paper to continue the street scene I have been working on. I use the centre of the two to to plot in the centre of my viewpoint. 

I use black in and a nib to draw the lines of the street. In the foreground is the grey of the road, the middle-ground is the gardens and the Cotswold stone wall that runs along the entire street and then the structure of the houses. However, working with a linear perspective and at a diagonal, I do wonder where actually is the foreground? Would the  side of the first building at the far left of the composition be the foreground? 

To help define the this preliminary drawing I have added two shades of grey watercolour for my own visual benefit: 



What would you do differently next time? 
As a preliminary sketch I enjoy the feel of this drawing. I do get a sense of atmosphere here. It comes across as a well worn street which is the truth of it. However, I found it really hard to process drawing the entire street at this stage, so I have focused on a small section of it. Perhaps a longer stretch, if not the whole street if I could position myself correctly could have been an option. 

The linear perspective is also a little off here, there is no distance to the pavement, it doesn't get any narrower at the furthest point away from me which is a mistake here. Also whilst I think about creating distance, I feel the tones of the colour should get darker too as I look into the distance. 

In the immediate foreground I am concerned about the side of the first house you see on the far left, I have not got the angle right here at all and I did struggle to understand this point. 


A limited palette study


I drew the street scene again using black ink. Faced with the challenge of working diagonally, I am having another go at the same viewpoint. 

I drew in the strongest vertical lines to start with following the challenge of the diagonal perspective of this street. I used a pencil as a measuring tool and my eye to try and get the angle correct. 

I used a limited colour palette of Cadmium yellow, brown, terracotta and the white of the paper. 

I applied pressure of varying amounts to mark in some of the street detail. 

I do feel that there is a better sense of depth with this drawing than with the preliminary drawing. The linear perspective is a little better. 

With the help of colour and a little more effort, I am happier with the corner of the first building on the far left, it does seem a little more accurate than the preliminary drawing. 

The colour has really helped with the Cotswold stone of the houses, with different pressure on the pencil, I can see the brick work emerging. I particularly like how the masonry brown bricks appear to the side of the houses. I like the contrast in colour of the bricks, this is rather dynamic. 

Reflection: 

This street view did feel challenging, not only getting a grasp of the linear perspective but also working at a diagonal. Perhaps, I should have changed my viewpoint rather than continue, however I do feel that by persevering, the second drawing is an improvement on the first preliminary line drawing. 

The use of a limited palette helped with texture, definition and distance and has bought the street to life. Choosing the yellow and browns was experimental and pleasing together. I especially like how the brick work of the houses appear with the addition of the colours. 

This exercise has been a learning curve and one that I do not feel I have successfully achieved at this point, the mistakes I have made here I can only use to my advantage as I continue. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog