Project 4 Exercise 1
Parallel perspective - An interior view 


I have chosen this viewpoint to learn to understand parallel perspective. 

I started by using a ruler to mark in my eye level and where the vanishing point would be if the lines were to continue. 

My view moves through two doorways, the hall and bathroom:



I start by drawing in lines with a pencil: 



Working with a ruler I kept checking my angles of my vertical lines against the horizon line which I plotted in on the skirting board within the bathroom. 

On a separate sheet of paper, a brown sheet I use crayons to plot in a looser version. Here I mark in the lines for my parallel perspective, using a ruler. Here with my first go my lines are inaccurate however I continue to block in areas of my viewpoint to help me understand the view I am studying:


I refer back to my white sheet of paper with pencil lines and with a little more understanding of my scene, and the mistakes I made with the crayon sketch above, I continue. The lines here are a more accurate. I used the blue rug as an object to work around, this helped to guide my eye through the doorways: 


Reflection: 

I do have a better understanding of parallel perspective after this exercise. 

It has felt like a challenge and one where I had to make mistakes with my lines to really see the point of what I was trying to do. 

Using the skirting board as my horizon point was a good position to work from. The skirting board was my eye level at the time of sketching. 

The ruler did help me position the two doorways in a relatively accurate position, more accurate than I can now see I would have achieved with my natural hand. Before this exercise, I would have immediately worked through this exercise only using my natural eye and hand for guidance. Now I know this, this will hopefully be a useful tool moving forward. 

This exercise has helped my achieve accuracy in my positioning of the elements in my viewpoint. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog