Project 2 Exercise 2 - A longer study
For this longer position, I opted for a large A2 white sheet of paper, a HB pencil and a brown coloured pencil.
My model was naked in a relaxed position on a sofa.
I firstly worked in the HB pencil to mark in where I thought the lines of the body were, I used the end of my pencil to approximately measure the proportions of the body as I went. I didn't erase any lines at all, I preferred to work softly to start with, becoming darker with my marks the more I became confident with the size and shape of my model. Once I was happy with my lines, I added confident lines with the brown coloured pencil.
How well have you captured the characteristics of the pose?
I am pleased that I am able to see in my sketch the position of my model. I feel that the eye can clearly see the pose that was adopted with one arm up to the head and the other resting on the leg. My model is looking into the distance, which I can see in this sketch. The legs are resting, which is also what I can see in this sketch.
To the viewer I think my sketch confidently identifies as a male and the size and build of my model is not far from the truth, I feel happy with this.
Does the body have sufficient weight and presence?
I didn't add any tonal areas to this sketch, I worked with only lines to concentrate on proportion size. I wonder if the lack of tone does give my model a weightless feel about it, an empty shell of a human figure. Tone would most definitely add weight and volume.
I can see the presence of weight around the stomach and chest, where my lines are more relaxed and less rigid.
Presence, I can see that here. I can see and feel the relaxed nature of the model although as above, my lines are too rigid in parts and thus gives the model an unrealistic look, too stiff. The body in true life is much softer, round, flexible, bouncy in parts.
Do the proportions look right? If not, how will you try to improve this?
I used the end of my pencil to approximately estimate the proportion sizes.
I am happy with the size and positioning of the legs. I am happy with the shapes I have used in one of the feet, closest to the viewer, however I fear the feet are a little too small compared to the legs, so will look again at this in future sketches.
The arms I feel are roughly correct, the hands however need more work and detail.
The left shoulder looks are little big and bulbous.
The head is a good shape, I am happy with that although I wonder if I have made it a little too small compared to the frame.

Comments
Post a Comment