Project 3 Exercise 1 - Basic shapes
1.
2.A requested, I positioned my model at a slight angle on a chair.
I used pencil and a brown coloured pencil on a white sheet of paper to work on these sketches.
I looked for the central axis of the body and marked it for as far as I could see. In both positions, the axis was not a straight or hard line, instead it naturally bent and twisted through the body. Having this line was a huge benefit in adding the basic shapes of the body around it.
I used my finger or the end of my pencil to establish sizes of the shapes I was adding.
The most obvious foreshortening I can see in the model is in the top sketch (1) the angel of the right shoulder means it appears shorter than the other. In the second sketch (2) the right arm is resting on the top of the sofa, it is at an angle as it appears shorter. Both of these examples are what I believe to be foreshortening.
Reflection
Marking in the central axis of the body was a fantastic way to map in my shapes, it did literally feel like a road running through the body. It was fluid and not rigid, a completely natural line that with my eye could be easily followed.
I am comfortable with the shapes I have positioned in my sketches. I can see volume in the stomach and breasts of my model especially, a 3D element can be seen here, small successes. Less so are the arms and the legs, the limbs lack volume and shape and so there for appear flat.
I hope to feel confident enough soon to target the head in a more realistic fashion. In these sketches I have placed the head as a shape, however my inexperience is stopping me from giving more specific features a go at this stage. An obstacle I hope to overcome.


Comments
Post a Comment