Assignment 5 


Reflection of previous assignments

Assignment 1

A still life collection of a vase, daffodil buds, a leek and a brass vase. 

This was a pleasing drawing. I chose charcoal which I found to be so delicate when working with the lines and tones of the leek and the buds especially. 

My items were placed in a simple, central position. I was focussed solely on a likeness, a drawing that wasn't too far removed from what I could see. I was nervous and determined to draw a still life that looked real and natural. 

My tutor commented on the pleasing look of the drawing. Her advise was to pay more attention to tone and the relationships of tones, how the dark I am considering compares to the dark in other areas. Tone is an element I am still working on and still trying to learn. 

Looking back at this piece, it was a good start. To improve, the composition could be more interesting. A sense of distance could be perhaps played with here. 

I could use more texture, the drawing could be more expressive. 

However charcoal was the right medium at this point and allowed me flexibility with my nervous steps in. 

Assignment 2



This is where I move on to the purpose of trying to create a still life that is expressive and interesting. To start I created a canvas of brown paper and old newspaper. This immediately helped relax my thoughts as I could build the still life on top of the newspaper. 

Charcoal and pastel were flexible mediums to work with and I was able to play with light and shadow as well as the objects themselves. The assignment was quite a journey as I searched for a way to communicate what I could see in the still life as well as my exploration of something more interesting in a drawing than what I could achieve in assignment 1. My tutor could see the journey that I had been on with this one and commented on the light and the shadows and suggested I work more with this going forward. 

What I couldn't do here though is find precision as well as expressive marks. I feel that there are parts of the drawing that are a little muddy and scruffy. I sacrificed clear marks. 

Assignment 3 



Here I searched for a guide to help me navigate my way through this assignment, and I found that mentor in the work of John Piper. The study of his work and his technique really inspired me and offered me a route through. 

Working outside was a first for me and a good step. The church felt like an enormous task but one that was made far easier by the study of Piper. Throughout part 3 I found that working with a landscape felt a little easier with every step. I enjoyed working with the landscape. 

I chose to work in ink line and watercolour for this assignment, however I did work through mediums to find the best fit.  The ink and watercolour produced a neat, rather serene drawing. I am pleased with the result and feel that it is a realistic drawing of the scene.  The colours are natural and clean and true to the landscape. I felt in control with the ink and watercolour. 

My tutor commented on the pleasing look of the building but did comment on the blandness of the drawing and prompted me to answer some questions of my own. What does please me? What am I proud of? I'm still not ready to answer these questions but I really hope too as I reflect on part 5. 

Assignment 4



The most challenging chapter and assignment. I had to find a lot of strength just to get through this chapter as my inexperience in working with the figure really did feel like a huge obstacle. At the end of chapter 4 I felt nowhere near ready or finished in my learning and so at this point, I feel I may need to make the courageous  and most likely risky decision of continuing my learning of the body through part 5. 

The most challenging aspects to this assignment were accurately communicating the proportions of the body and face as well as trying to achieve a likeness. I really didn't hit the mark on any likeness but I could see huge steps forward in my understanding of the figure by the end of this assignment. 

Bill Buchman really did come to my rescue and I am still on a journey of learning with him and the human figure.

My tutor commented on my determination to learn which I was relieved and pleased about, I really did work so hard just to be able to produce something that looked like a human body. It was also commented that my final drawings were a little wooden and bland and this is something I was aware of as fear, nervousness and frustrations took hold. 

The personal project

As I reflect on past notes and tutor guidance, I realise that I am yet to achieve a piece that is precise AND energetic and dynamic. My more detailed studies have been considered bland, how can I move passed this and move into a place where my efforts contain emotion? 

Having been so moved and inspired by the truly emotive work of Tracey Emin in assignment 4, I realise that I need to make efforts to communicate emotion onto the page, despite my study of Emin, I could not and have not yet achieved this emotive way of working. Instead, I have been rigid with my learning. Now might be the time to let go a little.  Also, struggling the very most with part 4 and the figure, I realise this is far more work to be done here and so I will continue my learning journey for this assignment and I choose 'The figure and face' as my option. 

Also reflecting on previous assignments, I felt most at ease and comfortable with part 3, and landscapes. As I work my way through this there may be a link between 'The figure and face' and 'Your immediate environment'.  I will consider this as I work my way through. 

Core personal objectives: 

  • To continue to learn about the figure. 
  • To bring emotion and energy into a drawing. 
  • To research artists who work emotively and with self reflection. 
  • To communicate a link between 'The figure and face' and 'Your immediate environment'. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog