Course Evaluation
I am learning. And I still feel at the very beginning of my learning journey.
Assignment one allowed me the opportunity to select still life objects of my choice. This was so important as I could choose ordinary pieces with detail I hadn't noticed before.
This first step into the course was experimentation of media. Basic drawing practices that could gain the effect of detail, texture and tone.
Assignment one resulted in a pleasing drawing that examined detail – The circular lines of the leek, volume of the apple, reflection of light on the brass vase. However elements such as the life and energy of the daffodil buds, the transparency of the glass were missing. What I gained at this starting point was a determination and enthusiasm to overcome obstacles.
I dedicated assignment two to experimentation of a wide range of media. This process was unpredictable. I worked to understand the limits of each medium. I wanted to create an interesting and very different drawing to assignment one. I worked very much outside of my comfort zone to work alongside the selection of drawing media.
I visited the Ashmoleum Gallery to observe 'Basket of Pears' by Edouard Manet. I could see a rough, unfinished still life painting that contained the essence of the pears. I understood here that finished, does not always mean perfect. There is always an energy.
'Experimental Drawing' by Robert Kaupelis was crucial reading, essential during these early steps.
A visit to The Herbert Art Gallery & Museum to see the exhibit 'Quinn – A Journey' helped me see the beauty in a landscape and the poetry of it.
The study of clouds, was a crucial part of my learning of marks to capture movement. Working fast to capture a moment. The study of mass, layers and interpreting volume in a tonal drawing.
Artist John Piper inspired assignment three. His painting 'Covehithe Church' inspired my study of my local church. I researched Piper working on location to understand his method of depicting a scene whilst also communicating the mood of the landscape. I adopted his large brush washes as I worked on location for the very first time. Overcoming the overwhelming thought of drawing such an enormous building.
Carrying forward the understanding of perspective and composition I had studied during 'Townscapes' . I worked to create distance in the drawing, adding the foreground, middle ground and background.
Of course I encountered problems with my final drawing – The washes could have been cleaner, brighter. The trees could have contained texture. However the landscape I created was recognisable and I was so pleased to work through my anxiety and draw such a landmark, guided by my research.
Assignment four was the most challenging, an honesty I shared with my tutor. I struggled throughout. Looking for ways to work my way through, 'Expressive Figure Drawings' by Bill Buchman, essential study. Here I learnt to use a soluble line that worked well for me. I gained confidence in using this method, lines could be manipulated and worked to create tonal areas of the figure.
Timed sketches proved a successful way of gaining confidence as there was a beginning and a definite end to each drawing. This way of working also helped me examine what I was capable of achieving in a window of opportunity. I was pleased that I could see progress had finally been made.
Assignment 5 was a risk. With part four of the course being the weakest for me, and my greatest struggle. I felt I was only at the beginning. And so I chose my weakest link for my final piece. I took the opportunity to continue my learning of the figure as well as incorporating as expressive line of thought in my immediate environment. Where my figures studies met with my imagination. Heavily inspired by the work of contemporary artist, Tracey Emin.
The research of historic and contemporary artists has aided my learning throughout. A valuable resource as I move forward in my studies.
Studying through the pandemic has been tricky at times, however I have attended exhibits when the limited opportunity has arisen.
On reflection, I think I chose experimentation, a learning over perfection throughout this module. However, I believe the risks were the right ones as perfection isn't a realistic goal for me at this stage of my learning journey.
I am confident my work to date shows a determination to overcome obstacles. And with each obstacle, I can see progress.
Assessment entries:
1. Assignment One: Learning outcome LO2
2. Assignment Two: Learning outcome LO1
3. Assignment Three: Learning outcome LO3
4. Assignment Four: Learning outcome LO4
5. Assignment Five: Learning outcome LO2
6. Part Three Project 2 Landscape Exercise 1 Cloud formations and tone: Learning outcome LO1
7. Part Three Project 4 Perspective Exercise 3 Aerial or atmospheric perspective: Learning outcome LO3
8. Part Three Project 5 Townscapes Exercise 2 Study of a townscape using line: Learning outcome LO3
9. Part Four Project 5 The moving figure Exercise 2 Groups of figures: Learning outcome LO2
10. Part Four Project 6 The Head Exercise 2 Your own head: Learning outcome LO4
Comments
Post a Comment